Thursday, April 17, 2014

April 14... Passover...Blood Moon...

"This day shall be for you a memorial day, and you shall keep it as a feast to the LORD; though out all generations, as a statue forever, you shall keep it as a feast." -Exodus 12:14

When our boys were just little boys, Warren and I wanted to celebrate Easter with something other than bunnies, and eggs.  This caused me to begin exploring the feasts that God instituted for the Israelites.  We had a friend who was Jewish who helped me understand, and implement a Seder (the Passover celebration).   We invited friends, and along with our family began having Passover in our home.  Warren got pretty good with some Hebrew phrases.  Somewhere along the way, we stopped doing Passover.  Now, we attend one put on by the Andrews.  Since Monday, April 14, was Passover, we celebrated with them along with other friends.

The Seder plate has the lamb shank bone...it was eaten in full by all the Israelites.  It had to be without blemish or spot.   Jesus was our Lamb...without blemish or spot.  Carpas (Parsley, the bitter herb dipped in salt water), Charoset (apple, walnut mixture which represent the mortar between the bricks), horseradish (also a bitter herb), the egg (new life), Matzah not show (unleavened bread)


Elijah's cup...there are 4 cups of wine that are drunk at various times in the ceremony.  At the Last Super, it was during the third cup when Jesus said this is my blood, and body...take and eat.

The Carpas...the bitter herb which is dipped in salt water to represent the bitterness of the Israelites plight  in Egypt, and the salt water represents their tears.

The Charoset...it is made with apples, pecans, and sweet wine.  It is really delicious.
 Mark did a great job of taking us through the Seder, and added very interesting tidbits of Hebrew tradition which brought the Seder to life.

Notice the candle to the left...the ceremony starts with the woman of the house lighting the candles, and reciting a prayer.

Thank goodness Mark had printed the order of the Seder so we could follow along.

I think it was after the third cup that we had the meal.  Everyone brought  a dish for us to enjoy.  Notice the red splotches on the left of the plate...there were actually 10 before my meal covered them up.  At one part in the ceremony, we dipped our finger into our wine, and dropped a spot on the plate as Mark announced the 10 plagues.  
It was a fun, exciting way to remember how the Lord takes us out of bondage, and brings us into a Promised Land.  While the Israelites did this physically, we are taken out of spiritual bondage, and brought into a spiritual promised land.  Our full reward waits us when we will be presented as the bride of Christ when we celebrate at the marriage super of the Lamb.

"The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day." -Act 2:20

That night, there was a lunar eclipse that started a little before midnight and lasted until about 3 a.m.  The moment of total eclipse was 1:06 a.m.  I stayed up to get pictures, but they do not do justice to the actual event...which was magnificent.  Truly glorious.  I might add Warren did not share in my enthusiasm...he went to bed.  Maggie, my cat, shared in the event with me though.  There were several sights online that covered it live, which helped me out a lot, since it was bitter cold out.  I watched online, and would go out to snap photos at various points, come in; warm up a little, and go back out.


the eclipse is just starting...




The blue dot is Mars




This is the total eclipse...even if it doesn't look like it.  Believe me, it as glorious.

There will be 4 total lunar eclipses in the years 2014-2015: October 8, 2014; April 4, 2015; and Sept. 8, 2015. http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/lunar.html.  These are called Tetrad lunar eclipses.  While I was waiting for the event, I looked up to see the Biblical significance of tetrad eclipses.  What I found was very interesting.  It seems there is a major Jewish event associated with all of them.  A lot fall on Jewish festivals.  

I found the tetrads, and the Biblical significance here.
the crucifixion












I did not stay up until 3 a.m.  I retired shortly after the total eclipse...like 1:30.  I was cold to the bone, and I thought I would never warm up.  I put on winter pajamas, and an extra blanket.  I wanted to curl up next to Warren who is like a little furnace, but decided it would not be wise to wake him with my freezing body.  He thanked me for not doing so the next morning.  It was fun, interesting, and exciting.  Be Blessed.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog