Saturday, September 13, 2014

More keto recipes...

"It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."- Thomas Jefferson

Pizza, and Mexican food, yum.   Yes, I have enjoyed these on my ketogenic diet, all made without the flour, hence low-carb.  I have tried many recipes for pizza, but have not found a crust I have liked. The cauliflower crust, and a protein powder crust just were not too high on the taste scale.  Today, I discovered a crust I liked.  It made a wonderful tasting pizza.

Doesn't this pizza look amazing?  You'd never know the crust was flour less. 



Here is how you make the pizza.
Crust:
4 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
(optional) 1 scoop unflavored protein powder (I use Isopure) This ingredient is not essential.  The crust is fine without it.  I just like to add a little extra protein.

Heat oven to 375°.  In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients, and blend until smooth.  Grease a 9x13 pan, and line with parchment paper.  Spray paper with PAM.  (it is easier to get out the crust if you line with parchment paper...if you do not have parchment paper, grease very well).  Pour the cheese crust mixture into the pan, and spread to a thin layer.  Bake about 20 minutes until lightly brown.  Do not bake it longer, because your crust will be too dark after it is baked with all the toppings on it.

Remove from oven and cool.  I like to put the crust in the refrigerator for awhile before I add my toppings.  At this point, it can be used, or frozen for a later use.

Toppings (you can choose toppings to your liking...this what I used)
Ham sautéed in one tsp. butter until lightly browned
Onion
jalapeño
pepperoni
1-8 oz. pkg. of shredded mozzarella cheese (about 2 1/2 cups)

To put it together:
Remove the crust from the 9x13 pan, and parchment paper.  Place on pizza pan sprayed with PAM, or pizza stone.  Drizzle crust with 1 TBS. olive oil, and spread around evenly on the crust.  Spread crust with sauce. (about 1 cup...do not use the whole jar!) I used this sauce, because it does not have added sugar.

Spread mozzarella cheese over the sauce.  Add toppings.  Bake 400° for 20 minutes or until browned.

I was hungry for some Enchiladas, and came up with my own spin so I could have Mexican food as well.  Instead of tortillas, I used a scrambled egg cooked like a tortilla.

I added enchilada sauce, cooked chicken, onions, and cheese.
This cheese is from grass fed cows.  It tastes amazingly good.  I could not believe the difference.  I found this at SAM's 


I topped off the enchilada with lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, and sour cream. To the right of the enchiladas is a Keto version of refried beans made from zucchini.  Hard to believe, I know, but it tasted just like refried beans.  I got the recipe from the book, Keto Clarity.

Here's the recipe for "Refried beans". 
1 zucchini peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
4 slices of bacon
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 TBS. minced garlic
1 TBS. minced, seeded jalapeño
1 TBS. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 grated cheddar cheese

1.  In a skillet saute over medium heat the bacon and zucchini until the zucchini is soft.  About 10 minutes.  Pour off bacon fat and reserve for later use.  Transfer the zucchini, and bacon to a food processor and puree until smooth.

2.  In a large skillet, heat the reserved bacon fat.  Add onions, cook until soft, about 3 minutes.  Add the garlic, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Cook about 1 minute.


Add pureed zucchini, and bacon mixture.  Add oregano, and stir to combine.
3.  Cook, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a thick paste. About 5-10 minutes.  Garnish with cheese, and serve.


This was one fine, and filling meal.  

Food you can enjoy, without the guilt or carbs.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog